HOW TO BACK UP ITUNES TO AN EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE
It is always good and advisable to keep a backup of all our data. If you have invested a significant amount of time in your iTunes library, it is fair enough to back up the data on it to your external hard drive. If you are looking for the steps to back up iTunes to your external hard drive, continue reading this page till the end.
STEPS TO BACK UP ITUNES TO AN EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE
- You can quickly back up your iTunes to an external hard drive. However, if you have organized its library, the process is more straightforward than you think.
- Before starting, make sure that you have connected your external hard drive to your computer.
- Close iTunes and then locate the iTunes folder. In case you don’t know how to find the folder, the following section can help you.
- Now, drag the iTunes folder to your external hard drive so that your iTunes library gets copied to your hard drive.
- Depending upon the size of your iTunes library, the time taken for the transfer period will vary.
- In the same manner, back up your iTunes library regularly. If you add content to your iTunes library frequently, it is advisable to create the backup on a regular basis.
- Once you have created the required backup, you can restore your iTunes library from your external hard drive.
STEPS TO LOCATE YOUR ITUNES LIBRARY
To back up your iTunes library, you should know its exact location. In this section, you will know the steps to locate the iTunes folder.
- Download any music from Apple Music (that you wish to back up).
- The default location for iTunes differs by Operating System. For instance, if you use Mac, go to the Finder and select your username. Then, click on Music.
- Similarly, if you are using Windows Vista or later, go to the Users folder and select Username> Music. In all these destinations, you can locate the iTunes folder.
- If you cannot locate iTunes in its default location, open iTunes and click Preferences. Then, click the Advanced tab and click iTunes Media folder location. Here, you can copy the destination path and use it for locating the iTunes folder.
- Check the box next to the Copy files to iTunes Media folder option when adding to the library option so that every song you add to your library goes directly to this folder.
- Finally, click OK.