HOW TO BACK UP WINDOWS 10 TO AN EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE?
When you back up your data, you can save all your crucial files in a better way. A system crash or a drive failure can occur without any prior intimation. Such things usually happen out of the blue. So, it is always advisable to back up your computer to an external hard drive. If you want to know the correct procedure for backing up your Windows 10 computer to an external hard drive, continue reading this page to know how to back up Windows 10 to an external hard drive.
Back up your Windows 10 with File History
Through File History, you can back up your data to an external hard drive or network location. Follow the instructions below to proceed further.
- Click the Start menu on your Windows 10 computer and select Settings.
- On the Settings screen, click on the Update & Security option.
- Choose Backup followed by Add a drive.
- When it shows you the list of connected hard drives, select the one for your backups.
Procedure for restoring your files with File History
If you have missed an important file or folder, follow the procedure given below to restore it to your Windows computer.
- On the taskbar, type “restore files” in the search box.
- From the search results, click on Restore your files with File History.
- Now, search for the file you need. Using the arrow keys, look for all its versions.
- When you find the exact version you need, click the Restore button.
- Now, that specific file will be saved in its original destination.
- In case you prefer to save that file to a different location, right-click on the Restore button and select the Restore to option. Then, browse for the destination and choose it.
- Now, that file will be restored to the destination you have selected.
In this manner, you can easily know how to back up Windows 10 to an external hard drive. If you have any questions, get back to us for remote assistance.