HOW TO FORMAT SEAGATE EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE WINDOWS 10
If you are looking How To Format Seagate External Hard Drive Windows 10, read this article completely to know how to do it. We here tell you how to initialize, partition, and format a new Seagate external drive. In addition, you will also learn to reformat your drive on your Windows 10 computer.
Before formatting your drive, you must remember that this process will erase all data on the drive. In case you are formatting an already used drive, make sure you copy or back up all data onto your computer or to your backup drive. If you are formatting a new or an empty drive, then you can directly format it.
HOW TO FORMAT A NEW DRIVE ON YOUR WINDOWS 10
- Press and hold the Windows and R keys until the Run box appears.
- In the Run command box, type diskmgmt.msc and click OK to open the Disk Management window.
- In case you are asked to enter an admin password or confirmation, provide the correct credentials.
- Right-click on the Seagate drive you wish to format. Select Initialize Disk.
- Next, select the partition style. Make sure you choose MBR for drives with less than 2TB capacity and GPT for drives with more than 2TB capacity.
- Click OK. Now, the drive should be seen as Unallocated.
- Next, right-click on the Unallocated box and choose New Simple Volume.
- On the Welcome screen, click Next.
- When the Specify Volume Size and Assign Drive Letter or Path screen appears, click Next.
- Now, select a File system.
- Choose NTFS if you wish to connect the external drive to a Windows computer, and you don’t need to allow any Mac computer to write to the drive.
- Or, choose exFAT if you want to allow both Mac and Windows computers to read and write to your external hard drive.
- Type a customized name in the Volume Label field if you want.
- Click Next.
- Click Finish.
HOW TO REFORMAT A DRIVE ON A WINDOWS COMPUTER
You can find several data recovery tools on the Internet to get back the lost data. It doesn’t matter whether you lose your data from your drive due to a system crash, formatting, accidental deletion, virus attack, or other reasons; a recovery tool can help you retrieve the data. Follow these instructions to proceed further.
- Open the Run command box by pressing the Windows + R keys.
- Type the command diskmgmt.msc and press Enter.
- If you are asked to enter administrator credentials, give the necessary details.
- Now, right-click on the Partition box and choose Format.
- When the Format prompt opens, you need to enter the following details.
- Volume Label: Enter a customized name for your drive in the blank field against Volume Label.
- File System: Choose NTFS or exFAT according to your needs.
- NTFS: To connect your external drive to a Windows computer and not let a Mac write to the drive.
- exFAT: To allow both Mac and Windows computers to read and write to your Seagate external drive.
- Allocation unit size: Choose Default.
- Tick the Perform a quick format checkbox.
- Make sure the Enable file and folder compression option is unticked.
- Click OK.
- Again, select OK in the formatting warning window.
- Now, the volume shows Formatting. And, after a few seconds, it automatically changes to Healthy (Primary Partition).
- Now, click on the X button to close the Disk Management window.
Remember that if you format your drive, all the data on the drive will be erased.
We hope you’ve learned How To Format Seagate External Hard Drive Windows 10. If you have any concerns about hard drives, call us so we can help you better.