How To Format Format Wd My Passport For Mac?
Western Digital is one of the most popular hard drive manufacturers, and their product line covers WD My Passport, WD My Passport Ultra, WD My Book, WD Elements, WD My Passport for Mac, and much more. Among all these, WD My Passport external hard drives are the most widely used ones. But like all other hard drives, you might experience some problems with the WD My Passport drive too. This can happen due to several unknown reasons, which can be resolved by formatting the entire hard drive. Here, we have discussed specific steps that will help you to know How To Format Format Wd My Passport For Mac.
TIPS FOR EFFECTIVE HARD DRIVE FORMATTING:
- Before formatting the WD My Passport hard drive, make sure that you back up all the data on either your computer’s internal storage or a different hard drive.
- The above step is important because once the hard drive is formatted, you can’t retrieve the data easily.
- There are various third-party apps/programs that can help you retrieve the data, but there are chances for data compromise, which no one of us would prefer.
- Format your WD external hard drive to the FAT32 or exFAT format to conveniently transfer the data between two systems.
- Always ensure that you use the hard drive on a single operating system.
- If you use it frequently on different operating systems (Windows, Linux, Mac, etc.), the chances of data corruption increase.
STEPS TO FORMAT WD MY PASSPORT HARD DRIVE ON A MAC SYSTEM:
- Turn on your Mac computer and connect the WD My Passport external hard drive to the system’s USB port.
- Make sure that the USB cable is not damaged, as a damaged cable can cause various issues.
- Once appropriately connected, wait for a few seconds and let your macOS detect and mount the drive for use.
- Now, the WD My Passport drive icon appears on your desktop.
- On the macOS dock, select Finder.
- Navigate to Applications > Utilities and select the Disk Utility application.
- In the Disk Utility window, choose the Western Digital hard drive icon from the sidebar.
- Next, click the Erase tab.
- From the Erase dialog box, select the Volume Format option.
- Choose APFS or MS-DOS, or exFAT.
- Usually, the exFAT format is best for formatting the WD My Passport hard drives.
- Click the Erase button.
- Now, the macOS erases the entire data on the drive and will reformat it to APFS, FAT32 or exFAT format (the format you have chosen).
- Wait patiently till the formatting completes. But the time duration depends on the size of data stored on your WD My Passport drive.
- Once the formatting is done, eject the drive before pulling out the USB cable.
- Now, you can use the WD My Passport device as a new hard drive on your Mac system.
- So, by following the above steps in an orderly manner, you can easily know How To Format Format Wd My Passport For Mac.