How To Format Wd My Passport Hard Drive Windows?
When you format a hard drive, all the stored data will be deleted. It is essential to format the hard drive in a specific file system according to your requirement. If you would like to know how to format a WD My Passport hard drive on a Windows computer, continue reading the following sections to know How To Format Wd My Passport Hard Drive Windows.
- If you have formatted your WD My Passport hard drive on your Mac in the HFS/APFS file system, it is mandatory to reformat it to the exFAT file system to use it on your Windows computer. Thus, formatting a hard drive to a specific file system plays a crucial role. Before you start to format your hard drive, it is advisable to know the feature of every file system. There are four file systems in practice: NTFS, HFS/APFS, exFAT, and FAT 32.
- The NTFS file system is ideal for Windows, but it doesn't work for Mac, whereas HFS/APFS works exclusively for Mac and doesn't fit the Windows operating system. If you want to use your WD My Passport hard drive on both Windows and Mac, it is ideal to format it in the exFAT or FAT32 file system. If your WD My Passport hard drive is lesser than 32 GB, you can format it with the FAT32 file system, and if the hard drive is more than 32 GB, it is ideal to format it in the exFAT file system.
- Connect your WD My Passport drive to your computer using a USB cable and wait until your computer detects it.
- On your computer, hit on the Start button and type This PC in the search field.
- When the Windows Explorer window opens, you can locate the installed hard drives in the left pane.
- Right-click on the WD My Passport hard drive's icon and choose the Format option from the drop-down menu.
- Next, click on the File System field and choose exFAT or FAT32 from the drop-down. Just as mentioned earlier, make sure to select exFAT if your hard drive is more than 32 GB.
- Next, in the Volume label field, give a name for your hard drive and select the box next to the Quick Format option.
- Finally, click on the Start button.
- Within a few minutes, the hard drive will be formatted. As you have formatted it in the FAT32/exFAT file system, you can use it on Windows and Mac computers as well.
Now, you have successfully known How To Format Wd My Passport Hard Drive Windows.