HOW TO RECOVER EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE WITHOUT FORMATTING
The External hard drives are used to back up important data files like documents, photos, videos, and other data by connecting them to the computer. However, the external hard drive may sometimes get corrupted for various reasons. But it is possible to recover your external hard drive without formatting it on your computer. To do so, just perform the below steps carefully to know How To Recover External Hard Drive Without Formatting.
RUN WINDOWS VIRUS SCAN
- First, connect the hard drive to your computer.
- Go to the Start menu on your computer’s main screen.
- Open the Settings window.
- Choose the Update & Security option from the list of settings.
- In the next window, click on the Windows Security category from the left menu panel on the screen.
Once the corrupted or malicious files are removed from your computer, you will be able to recover the files from your external hard drive.
This is one way of recovering your external hard drive without formatting.
START CHKDSK SCAN
- Select the Start menu on your computer’s main screen.
- Now, type cmd in the search bar at the bottom of the window.
- Choose the Command Prompt option from the search result and click the Run as administrator option from the list.
- Next, type the following command and press the Enter key on the keyboard.
- In the above command, ensure to replace X with the letter assigned to your hard drive and press Enter on the keyboard.
- The process will take some time to finish, depending on the size of your external hard drive.
- Thus, CHKDSK scans your files and then tries to resolve the issues that are caused by bad sectors or corrupted files. And, once these issues are fixed, you can quickly recover your external hard drive.
RUN SFC SCAN
- Click on the Start menu on your computer’s main screen and type cmd in the search box at the bottom of the window.
- Right-click the Command Prompt option from the search result and select the Run as administrator option from the drop-down list.
- Now, enter sfc /scannow in the Command Prompt dialog box and press the Enter key on the keyboard.
- Wait for some time to complete the SFC process.
- Your computer will restart automatically after finishing the scanning process.
- If your device does not restart automatically, then restartdo it manually.
- When your computer turns on, try to access and recover your hard drive without formatting.
- If it does not work, try to recover your hard drive using any third-party data recovery software.
- Download and install any trusted and reputable data recovery tool on your computer.
- Make sure to connect the hard drive to your computer.
- Now, launch the recovery software on your computer.
- Browse to your hard drive and start the scanning process.
- Once completed, choose the files you want to recover.
- Finally, click the Recover button (or a similar option) in your recovery software to retrieve the chosen files.
Now, you can recover your external hard drive without formatting by following the above instructions.
If you need further clarifications on How To Recover External Hard Drive Without Formatting, contact us.