Seagate Hard Drive Not Showing Up - Quick Fix
Seagate tends to bring out the best when it comes to producing hard drives that are well suited for both Mac and Windows computers. The Seagate hard drives come in many names like Ultra Slim, Portable, and Slim in different physical sizes.
There may come a time where the Seagate Hard Drive Not Showing Up issue arises. With this article, you can breathe out all the pressure to resolve the issue.
SOME REASONS WHY THE HARD DRIVE IS NOT SHOWING UP:
- An OS update can cause incompatibility
- The Seagate hard drive is password protected
- A virus infection can lead to complications
- Outdated drivers
- A problem with the USB slot
- A fault with the USB cable connecting the Seagate hard drive
Before you proceed with the main methods for Windows and Mac operating systems, try the common steps to resolve the Seagate Hard Drive Not Showing Up issue.
- Remove the hard drive from the computer and re-insert it into the USB slot slowly to see if the hard drive LED is lit.
- Try to connect the hard drive to a different USB slot to see if it works.
- If the USB cable for the Seagate hard drive appears to be damaged, replace it with a new cable and try again.
- Connect the hard drive to a different computer to ensure that there is no problem with the drive.
FOR WINDOWS USERS ⇒
FOR WINDOWS USERS ⇒
If your Seagate hard drive does not show up or Seagate Hard Drive Not Working on your Windows computer , here are some troubleshooting methods you can follow to solve the issue.
METHOD 1: ENABLE USB DEVICE IN BIOS
- Restart your computer.
- When the computer boots, press Esc repeatedly to open the BIOS settings utility.
- Use the arrow keys to operate on the BIOS settings.
- Select the Boot tab.
- Choose the Removable devices option.
- Once the booting is complete, save the changes.
- Restart the computer normally.
Now see if the Seagate Hard Drive Not Showing Up on your Windows computer.
METHOD 2: UPDATE USB CONTROLLER
- Open the Run command (Windows + R).
- Type devmgmt.msc and press the Enter button.
- The Device Manager window will open.
- Navigate to the section of Universal Serial Bus Controllers and click the arrow key on the left.
- If you see the USB controller with an error icon, do right-click and select the Update Driver Software option.
- You will see the following small message with two options, how do you want to search for driver software?
- Click the Search Automatically option from the pop-up window.
- The USB controller will be updated.
Updating the USB controller will definitely resolve the issue and the Seagate hard drive will be seen on your computer.
METHOD 3: CHANGE THE LETTER AND PATH OF THE DRIVE
- Open Run command.
- Type diskmgmt.msc in the Open field, then press the Enter button.
- Perform a right-click on the hard drive and select the Change Drive Letter and Paths option.
- Click the Change button.
- Select Assign the following drive letter option.
- From the Letter drop-down list, select a drive letter for your external hard drive.
- Click the OK button.
- Save changes and restart the computer.
FOR MAC USERS
Here are few methods to resolve the Seagate Hard Drive Not Showing Up up on Mac.
METHOD 1: ENABLE HARD DRIVE IN FINDER PREFERENCES AND DESKTOP
- Click the Finder icon on the desktop screen on your Mac computer.
- Select the Preferences option and then select Sidebar.
- Under the Locations section, click the checkbox for the External disks option.
- Click General.
- Below Show these items on the desktop, click the checkbox for the option External disks.
METHOD 2: REPAIR HARD DRIVE WITH FIRST AID
- Click the Launchpad (Rocket) icon in the dock section.
- Click Other and then click the Disk Utility option.
- In the left pane, select the unmounted hard drive.
- Select the Firstaid option on the top.
- Click the Run button to initiate the repair.
Performing the mentioned method will solve the Seagate hard drive issue.
FORMAT SEAGATE HARD DRIVE
- Click the Finder icon.
- Select the options, Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility.
- In the left pane, select the hard drive.
- Click the Erase button.
- The removal process will take place.
- Click the Done button once the format is complete.
- For further queries on Seagate Hard Drive Not Showing Up issue, call us.