TOSHIBA CANVIO SLIM 500GB PORTABLE EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE SETUP
The Toshiba Canvio Slim 500GB portable external hard drives are compact and stylish. These drives are known for their performance and reliability. With the USB 3.0 compatibility, the data transfer rate is higher compared to other hard drives. If you are new to this hard drive, this guide will assist you in setting up the driver on your computer. Keep reading this page to know how to get Toshiba Canvioslim 500GB portable external hard drive setup.
TOSHIBA CANVIO SLIM 500GB EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE INSTALLATION
- Start by unpacking the hard drive from the package.
- Connect the hard drive to your computer using the supplied USB cable.
- Wait for the power light on the hard drive to illuminate.
- Since the hard drive is pre-formatted with NTFS for Windows Operating Systems, a new drive icon should appear in My Computer.
- If the drive is not present in the My Computer window, reformat the drive and install the required software for backup and security.
- If you are using the hard drive on your Mac, open the Disk Utility window and format the drive with Mac OS Extended (Journaled) to continue using it on your computer.
- Finish setting up the hard drive and check if it is working by disconnecting and mounting it on your computer.
TOSHIBA CANVIO SLIM 500GB EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE SOFTWARE DOWNLOAD
You can download Toshiba Storage Backup software and Storage Security software from the official Toshiba site. These apps are available only for Windows Operating Systems.
- To download the software, visit the official Toshiba site and select your product from the categories.
- Search for the software for your hard drive and go to the Personal Storage page.
- Under the Storage Backup Software section, click the Download icon in the Software column.
- If you need the Storage Security software, scroll down the page and then click the Download button below the Storage Security Software section.
- Once the download is complete, go to your computer’s Downloads folder and check if the software has been completely downloaded.
TOSHIBA CANVIO 500GB SLIM EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE PARTITIONING
Partitioning the Toshiba external hard drive on Windows:
- Ensure that your Toshiba Canvio Slim 500GB external hard drive is properly connected to your computer.
- Open Disk Management and right-click on the Unallocated box next to your external hard drive.
- Select the New Simple Volume option. Wait for the New Simple Volume Wizard screen to appear.
- Click Next and choose the partition size from the drop-down menu.
- Assign a name for your partition and select the NTFS format.
- Select the Perform a quick format checkbox and click Next.
- Finally, format your partition and close the Disk Management window. Move on to the next steps to know how to get Toshiba Canvioslim 500GB portable external hard drive setup.
Partitioning the Toshiba hard drive on Mac:
- To begin with, connect the hard drive to your Mac.
- Click the Spotlight Search icon at the top-right corner of your desktop and type ‘disk utility’ in the search panel.
- In the search results, click to open Disk Utility.
- Choose your external hard drive from the left-side panel and click the Partition tab.
- Click the Add icon or plus symbol at the bottom left corner to add a new partition.
- Select the number of partitions and fill the name, format, and size fields.
- Click Apply –> Partition.
You’ve now seen how to create a partition on your external hard drive.
HOW TO BACKUP FILES USING TOSHIBA CANVIO SLIM 500GB EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE?
- To begin with, connect the hard drive to your Windows computer.
- Click the Start menu available at the bottom-left corner of the desktop and then select All Programs –> Accessories –> System tools.
- For the older Windows version, click the Start menu and then select Control Panel.
- Under System and Security, select the option to start the backup.
- Carry out the on-screen instructions and click Next.
- Choose the files you wish to back up and select your Toshiba Canvio Slim 500GB external hard drive.
- Select a location to save the backup files and give a name for the backup file.
- Finally, click Finish to complete the backup and Toshiba Canvioslim 500GB portable external hard drive setup.
- Start by connecting the hard drive to your Mac via a USB cable.
- On your Mac, open Disk Utility and choose your external hard drive from the left-side panel.
- Create a partition for backup on your hard drive.
- Next, open System Preferences and click the Time Machine icon.
- In the Time Machine window, click on Add or Remove Backup Disk.
- Choose your external hard drive from the displayed list and click the Use Disk button.
- Wait for Time Machine to prepare the backup.
- If this is not the first time, click the Time Machine icon at the top-right corner of the desktop and select the Back Up Now option to back up your data.
FORMAT TOSHIBA CANVIO SLIM 500GB EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE
The Toshiba Canvio Slim 500GB external hard drive comes pre-formatted with NTFS for Windows. So, you can easily plug and play the hard drive on your Windows computer. For Macintosh, you should format before using the drive. For detailed instructions about formatting the hard drive, go through the steps given below.
- First, connect the hard drive to your Mac using a standard USB cable.
- Open Disk Utility and choose your external hard drive from the left-side panel.
- Click the Erase button and name your hard drive.
- Choose the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format from the Format drop-down menu.
- If you wish to access your hard drive on both Windows and Mac Operating Systems, change the format to ExFAT.
- If necessary, select the GUID Partition Map option from the Scheme drop-down menu.
- Click on Erase and select Done to finish formatting your drive on Toshiba Canvioslim 500GB portable external hard drive setup.
HOW TO RECOVER FILES FROM TOSHIBA CANVIO SLIM 500GB EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE?
You can restore your Toshiba Canvio Slim 500GB external hard drive to its factory default state using the Toshiba HDD Recovery utility. But it cannot recover the files lost on the hard drive. There are several third-party data recovery software such as EaseUS data recovery, Stellar data recovery, Recoverit, and Disk drill. Keep reading the instructions below to know how to recover your deleted files from the hard drive.
- First, connect the hard drive to your computer.
- Download and install the data recovery software on your computer.
- Launch the software and choose your external hard drive from the list.
- Click on Scan to scan your hard drive.
- Once the scan is complete, the files that were saved previously on the drive will be displayed.
- Choose the files you wish to recover and click the Recover or Restore button.
- Specify the location to save the recovered files on your computer.
- After finishing the recovery process, close the data recovery software and check the recovered files.
TOSHIBA CANVIO SLIM 500GB EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE TROUBLESHOOTING
Is your Toshiba Canvio Slim 500GB external hard drive not working as expected? Then troubleshoot the issue to continue using it on your computer. In most cases, the problem can be due to a connection issue. So, check if you have properly connected the hard drive to your computer. If you have issues with taking a backup or moving files, contact us for assistance.
TOSHIBA CANVIO SLIM 500GB EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE NOT CONNECTED
- You may not access your Toshiba Canvio Slim 500GB external hard drive on your computer if it is not connected properly.
- Check the USB cable connected at both ports.
- Avoid using a USB hub to connect the hard drive to your computer.
- If the problem remains unsolved, right-click the My Computer shortcut icon on the desktop and select Manage to open Disk Management.
- Choose your hard drive and delete the partition.
- Create a new partition and check if the problem has been resolved.
- If the problem persists while Toshiba Canvio slim 500GB portable external hard drive setup, format the drive on your computer.