TOSHIBA CANVIO BASIC A3 4TB EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE INSTALLATION
The Toshiba Canvio Basic A3 4TB External Hard Driveinstallation process is simple using Easy Plug-and-Play operation. Since the drive is NTFS formatted, you need not format the drive. In case you are using it on Mac, format the drive. To install the hard drive on your Windows computer, follow these steps.
- First, unpack the hard drive and check the box components.
- Connect your hard drive to your computer using the supplied USB cable.
- Make sure you have the USB 3.0 Express Card Host Controller on your computer. If not so, connect the drive to your computer’s USB 2.0 port.
- Wait for the power indicator on the drive to light up.
- Once the driver has been powered on, check if it has been properly mounted to your computer.
- On your desktop, double-click the My Computer shortcut icon and check if the device is present in the left-side panel.
TOSHIBA CANVIO BASIC A3 4TB EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE SOFTWARE DOWNLOAD
The Toshiba Canvio Basic A3 4TB External Hard Drive comes with Easy Plug-and-Play operation and so it doesn’t require any software/apps to be installed on your Windows computer.
TOSHIBA CANVIO BASIC A3 4TB EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE PARTITIONING
Usually, the Toshiba drive comes with a single partition. If you wish to protect your data and facilitate data management, create partitions on your disk. For detailed instructions, follow these steps.
- On your Windows computer, open the Run command by pressing the Windows + R shortcut keys.
- Enter ‘diskmgmt.msc’ in the text field and click OK to open Drive Management.
- Locate the Toshiba Hard Drive (NTFS formatted) in the Drive Management window.
- Right-click a partition on the drive and select the Shrink Volume option.
- Next, choose the amount of space you need for the partition and click Shrink.
- Give a right-click on the unallocated space and select the New Simple Volume option.
- Click Next in the New Simple Volume Wizard window.
- Specify the volume size and click Next.
- Assign a new drive letter and choose the NTFS format on the Format Partition screen.
- Click Next and select Finish to partition the Toshiba Canvio Basic A3 4TB External Hard Drive.
- Before you make a partition on the Toshiba Canvio Basic A3 4TB external hard drive, you should format it with Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or exFAT using Drive Utility on your Mac.
- Once you have done formatting the drive, open the Drive Utility window again.
- Navigate to the left-side panel and then select your hard drive below External.
- Click the Partition icon at the top and select the add icon below the blue circle with your hard drive name.
- Choose the partition size and check if the format selected is the same as you have done previously.
- If prompted, click the Partition button to confirm your action.
- Click Done to complete creating the partition for your hard drive.
FORMAT TOSHIBA CANVIO BASIC A3 4TB EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE
The Toshiba hard drive comes with NTFS format by default for Windows. If you wish to use the drive on Mac, format it with Mac OS Extended (Journaled). In case you wish to use the hard drive on both operating systems, format it with ExFAT.
Formatting the hard drive on Mac:
- Start by connecting the hard drive to your Mac using a standard USB cable.
- Next, click the Spotlight Search icon at the top-right corner of the desktop.
- Type ‘disk utility’ in the search box and click to open Drive Utility.
- Alternatively, go to Applications and then select Utilities. Click the Drive Utility icon in the Utilities window to launch Drive Utility on your Mac.
- Choose your Toshiba Canvio Basic A3 4TB External Hard Drive from the left-side panel.
- Click Erase at the top and select the ExFAT option as your file format system.
- Name the drive and click the Erase button.
- If prompted, confirm your action.
- Wait until the format is completed.
- Click Done and close the Drive Utility window.
Reformatting the drive on Windows:
- To begin with, connect the hard drive to your Windows computer.
- Open Windows Explorer and right-click the hard disk drive.
- Select the Format option and choose the ExFAT option as your file system.
- Under Volume label, give your drive a name.
- Ensure that the Quick Format checkbox is selected.
- Click Start and wait until the drive is reformatted.
You can now use the Toshiba Canvio Basic A3 4TB external hard drive on the Windows and Mac Operating Systems.
HOW TO RECOVER FILES FROM TOSHIBA CANVIO BASIC A3 4TB EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE?
If any of your files on the Toshiba hard drive have been lost or cannot be accessed, you can easily recover them. For that, you need to install a third-party data recovery software like Recoverit, EaseUS Data Recovery, Stellar Data Recovery, or Drive Drill. For detailed instructions, continue reading the steps given below.
- Ensure that your hard drive has been connected properly to your computer.
- Download the data recovery software you wish.
- Launch the downloaded software and choose the recovery type.
- Choose the hard drive from which you wish to recover the data.
- Start scanning the drive.
- Once the scan is complete, the files saved on your Toshiba Canvio Basic A3 4TB External Hard Drive will be listed, including the deleted files.
- Choose the files/folders you wish to recover and then click the Recover button.
- Specify the location on your computer to save the files you are recovering.
- Complete the recovery process and close the data recovery software.
TOSHIBA CANVIO BASIC A3 4TB EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE TROUBLESHOOTING
Is your Toshiba Canvio Basic A3 4TB external hard drive not working as expected? Then troubleshoot the hard drive after identifying the actual cause. In most cases, the connection issue will be the reason for the hard drive issue. So, check the USB cable connecting the drive and the computer. Ensure that it is firmly plugged at both ends. If you cannot access the drive, check the file system. The correct format is required to access the drive on your computer. For more assistance in resolving your hard drive issues, contact us by clicking the Call button on this page.
TOSHIBA CANVIO BASIC A3 4TB EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE NOT CONNECTED
- If your Toshiba hard drive is not connected properly to your computer, you cannot access the files stored on it. So, check the USB connection.
- If necessary, you can also connect the USB cable to a different USB port on your computer.
- In case the drive is still not recognized by the computer, right-click the My Computer icon on the desktop and select Manage. Doing so will open Drive Management.
- Check if your drive has been listed. If not so, remove and recreate the partition.
- Also, format the drive and restart your computer.
Now, the Toshiba Canvio Basic A3 4TB External Hard Drive should be recognized on your computer.