QUICK STEPS: INSTALL TOSHIBA CANVIO SLIM 2TB USB 3.0 EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE
Toshiba Canvio Slim 2TB USB 3.0 is a portable external hard drive. You can connect the external hard drive to your computer using a USB cable as this drive supports plug-and-play connectivity. Are you having a brand new Toshiba Canvio Slim 2TB USB 3.0 External Hard Drive? Want to know how to access your new hard drive? Then, this page is all yours.
Toshiba Canvio Slim 2TB External Hard Drive Installation
How do you connect and install your Toshiba Canvio Slim hard drive on a Windows computer? Simply follow these steps; they might be helpful.
- Unbox the Toshiba Canvio Slim 2TB external hard drive.
- Turn ON the Windows computer, and connect the USB 3.2 Gen 1 micro-B connector of the USB cable to the Toshiba Canvio Slim external drive.
- Connect the other end of the USB cable into the USB-A connector port in the computer.
- Once the external drive is connected to the computer, the Power indicator on the drive will pulse.
- Now, you can see a new drive icon appear in the My Computer window.
- Open the external drive, copy the manuals and software link, and save the copied files to your computer.
- Don't format your drive because it is already formatted and ready to use.
- Follow the same steps for using the drive on a Mac computer as well.
Toshiba Canvio Slim 2TB External Hard Drive Software Download
- You can download the software for your Canvio Slim external hard drive from the official Toshiba official website.
- On the official support page, click Support -> Downloads & Product Archive.
- Locate Canvio Slim and click the download icon beside Software.
- Now, you can download the required software to your computer and install it.
- Connect the Toshiba Canvio Slim 2TB USB 3.0 External Hard Drive to your computer. If the drive is ready to use, follow the steps to partition it.
- On the Windows computer, right-click on My Computer and select Manage.
- Click Disk Management in the left-side panel.
- In the main window, locate and right-click on the Toshiba Canvio Slim 2TB external hard drive.
- Now click Shrink Volume. A new window with the details of the space available on the drive will pop up.
- Enter the value for the space you want to shrink in MB and click Shrink. You cannot shrink beyond the total volume of the external drive.
- Now, in Disk Management, you can see the Primary and Unallocated Partition.
- Right-click on the Unallocated volume and select New Simple Volume.
- Now, in the New Simple Volume Wizard, click Next.
- Enter volume for the new partition in MB and click Next.
- In the Assign the following drive letter drop-down box, select the letter for the new drive and click Next.
- In Format Partition, choose an option to format the drive or use the default settings. If you want to change the volume label, enter the name in the Volume label field and click Next.
- Once the partitioning is completed, check the new partition on the Windows computer.
- Connect the Toshiba Canvio Slim 2TB External Hard Drive to your Mac computer.
- Go to Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility.
- In the Disk Utility window, locate the new Toshiba Canvio Slim external hard drive and click Partition.
- Now a partition window opens and shows the information about the external hard drive.
- To create an additional partition on the disk, click the '+' button in the partition window. You can split the disk as you require.
- Below Partition Information, you can change the name of the disk. Select the Format drop-down box and select the format according to your usage.
- The disk volume can be manually entered in the Size field and enter the volume in GB.
- Finally, click Apply. If prompted, click Partition and wait until the Toshiba Canvio Slim 2TB USB 3.0 external hard drive partition is done.
- Now, go to Finder and check the partitioned disk.
- Connect the Toshiba Canvio Slim external hard drive to your Windows computer.
- Go to Settings and then click Update & Security.
- In the Update & Security menu, locate and click Backup.
- Now toggle the Automatically backup my files button and click the More option.
- Select your drive, which is visible below the Overview menu.
- Now, on the Backup option menu, click the Back up my file drop-down and select the time.
- Select Keep my backups drop-down box; click any options as you required.
- Below the Back up these folders, select + Add a folder to back up the folders from your computer.
- Click the Back up now button to back up all the folders you have selected from the windows computer.
- Download the Storage Security Software from the official Toshiba website or the download link given on Toshiba external drive.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the Storage Security Software installation.
- Run the Storage Security software and select the device that you want to protect. Enable the Encryption check box and click Apply.
- If it prompts, click Yes.
- In the Cautions on the Data Transfer window, select the Acknowledged checkbox and click Next.
- Enter a new password, retype it in the required field and click Apply.
- Now, the Toshiba Canvio Slim external hard drive is protected.
- Plug the external drive into your windows computer and open Windows Explorer.
- Right-click the external drive and choose Format.
- Click the Quick Format checkbox and click Start.
- Wait for few minutes to perform a complete disk format. Once the format is done, a prompt appears.
- Now the format has been completed.
- Connect your Toshiba hard drive to your Windows computer and type 'cmd' in the search box.
- Right-click on the Command Prompt app from the list and select Run as Administrator.
- Enter the following command in the Command prompt app and press Enter --- chkdsk F (F denotes the letter which is assigned to the external hard drive).
- Download third-party applications like Recoverit and install the app.
- Run the app and select the external drive. Now click Scan.
- Preview the recovered files and store them on the external device.
- Check the Toshiba external hard drive connection and ensure the USB cable is not damaged.
- Check the hard drive USB port and also check the computer's USB port.
- If there is any damage to the computer port, try another USB port.
- Still, if the Toshiba external hard drive is not getting connected, get a new USB cable and connect the drive to the computer.
- Make sure the Toshiba Canvio Slim 2TB USB 3.0 External Hard Drive is plugged into the computer.
- Ensure that the USB cable is not damaged.
- Now right-click This PC and select Manage.
- Select Disk Management and locate the external drive.
- Right-click on the external drive and click Delete Partition.
- Now right-click on the drive and select Create New Partition.
- Select Primary Partition in the partition wizard and follow the steps to complete the partition.
Toshiba Canvio Slim 2TB External Hard Drive Partitioning
Partitioning a new external drive is more important because you can't use the external hard drive without partitioning.
How To Back Up Files Using Toshiba Canvio Slim 2TB External Hard Drive?
Manual Backup method:
It takes few minutes to complete the backup; after the backup is finished, open the Toshiba Canvio Slim 2TB USB 3.0 external hard drive and check if the folders are saved to it.
Storage Security Software To Protect Your Toshiba External Hard Drive:
Format Toshiba Canvio 2TB External Hard Drive
If the Toshiba Canvio Slim external hard drive is full of unwanted data and you want to format it. Follow the steps to format the drive completely.
How To Recover Files From Toshiba Canvio Slim 2TB External Hard Drive?
There are many software used to recover files from the Toshiba Canvio Slim 2TB USB 3.0 External Hard Drive. But we are going to see the manual CHKDSK command method.
Toshiba Canvio Slim 2TB External Hard Drive Troubleshooting
Troubleshooting helps to solve any issues on the Toshiba Canvio Slim external hard drive. Usually, there are chances for you to face connection issues while trying to access the drive on a computer. We shall see the solutions for these issues here.