Toshiba Canvio Slim II 1TB External Hard Drive Installation
The installation of the Toshiba Canvio Slim 1TB drive requires only a few steps. It is easy to install Toshiba Canvio Slim II 1TB External Hard Drive an external drive on your computer. To begin with, ensure that you meet these requirements:
- You need to have a compatible USB 3.0 cable
- Freeport of USB 3.0 or USB 2.0 on your computer
- Formatted NTFS for Microsoft Windows
Getting started with the drive installation:
- Open the external hard drive package.
- Check all the components present in it.
- Take out the Canvio Slim 1TB drive from the box.
- Turn on your computer.
Connecting the power cable:
- Now, plug one end of the USB 3.0 cable into the Canvio Slim 1TB drive.
- Connect the opposite end to the USB 3.0 or USB 2.0 port of your computer.
- After connecting the drive successfully, the power indicator on your Canvio Slim 1TB drive blinks at the top-left corner.
- The external hard drive is now mounted successfully.
- On your computer, go to My Computer.
- The external hard drive icon is displayed on My Computer.
- You can also check your drive’s capacity by right-clicking on the Toshiba Canvio Slim 1TB drive icon.
Toshiba Canvio Slim II 1TB External Hard Drive Software Download
You can download the software for your external hard drive from the official site. Here’s how to download the software for the Canvio Slim hard drive.
- On your computer, open a web browser.
- Visit the official Toshiba website.
- Click Support and then click Downloads and Archive.
- Select the appropriate product category and model from the drop-down menu.
- Click the Download button next to Software. You’ll be directed to the software download page.
- Now, start downloading the software.
Toshiba Canvio Slim II 1TB External Hard Drive Partitioning
If you wish to partition your external hard drive, then you need to save all the stored files to another folder or back up your files.
- On your computer, you need to go to the Start menu and then click File Explorer.
- In the left navigation bar, search for This PC and then right-click on it.
- Choose Manage.
- Under the Storage section, select Disk Management.
- In the Disk Management window, right-click your external drive name.
- Select Shrink.
- In the shrink window, enter the amount of space in megabytes. For example, enter 5000 that is equal to 5GB.
- Select the Shrink button at the bottom of the window.
- An unallocated folder is created in the Disk Management window.
- You can now right-click the unallocated folder.
- Click New Simple Volume.
- A pop-up window appears on the screen.
- In the volume wizard, click Next.
- Choose your drive letter from the drop-down menu and then click Next.
- Assign a volume label for your partition and then click Next.
- Finally, click Finish. You can see the blue bar above your created partition name.
- Navigate to This PC and check your primary partition.
Now, you’ve created the first partition successfully. You can also create another partition for your external hard drive.
How to back up files using Toshiba Canvio Slim II 1TB External Hard Drive?
You can back up files by downloading the Storage Backup Software from the official site. The storage backup software helps you to back up files stored on your computer to the storage device.
- Ensure that you restart your computer. And, you should make sure that you are logged in with administrator privileges.
- On the computer, open a web browser.
- Visit the official site.
- Download the Storage Backup Software for your external hard drive.
- Now, double-click the downloaded .exe file to begin the installation process.
- In the Choose Setup Language dialog box, select the required language and then click Next.
- You should accept the terms and conditions of the License Agreement and then click Next.
- Click Install. The installation process starts.
- Finally, click Finish. The software shortcut is added to the desktop.
- Now, launch the software.
- Select your storage device and then click Next.
- Select the required partition and then click Next.
- Note: Backup plan supports only NTFS formatted storage devices.
- In the backup folder dialog box, select the folder and then click Next.
- Set the backup plan schedule.
- Once done, click Save.
- Click OK to begin the backup process.
- The Backup completed successfully message appears on the screen after completing the backup procedure.
Format Toshiba Canvio Slim II 1TB External Hard Drive
- On your computer, click the Start menu.
- Select the Disk Management option. The Disk Management window opens now.
- In the Disk Management window, you can right-click the unallocated partition.
- In the pop-up menu, click Next.
- Change the drive letter and then click Next.
- Choose the file system as NTFS and select the Perform a quick format option.
- Click Next.
- Finally, click Finish.
How to recover files using Toshiba Canvio Slim II 1TB External Hard Drive?
You can restore the backup data using the Storage Backup Software. Storage Backup Software is available on the official site. To restore the data, you should’ve backed up the files using Storage Backup Software of your Canvio external hard drive.
- On your computer, launch the software.
- Click the Restore symbol.
- Select the date from the drop-down menu.
- Select the folder and then click Next.
- In the restore destination selection dialog box, choose the required destination.
- Click Restore.
- Finally, click OK.
Toshiba Canvio Slim II 1TB External Hard Drive Troubleshooting
Hard drives are used to store important files. Sometimes, these drives might fail at any moment, thus losing access to the data. You can restore the lost data by troubleshooting the hard drive problems. You need to identify what causes the problem and start clearing it out.
Here are the troubleshooting methods for some of the common errors on your external hard drive.
Toshiba Canvio Slim II 1TB External Hard Drive Not Connected
Perform basic troubleshooting:
- Ensure that the connection between your hard drive and your computer is set properly.
- Restart your computer when your Toshiba hard drive encounters a problem.
- Ensure that your hard drive has a valid partition.
- Check whether your device is formatted using the correct file system.
Toshiba Canvio Slim II 1TB External Hard Drive Not Connected
- Ensure that you’ve downloaded the correct software for your external hard drive.
- Check whether the USB cable is securely connected at both ends.
- If your device does not start, it might have a malfunction problem and might need servicing.
- When you dismount the drive, do not unplug the cable connection immediately. It causes damage to the drive. When you try to reconnect the drive in the future, it will not connect or work properly. So, try dismounting the Toshiba Canvio Slim II 1TB External Hard Drive safely.