WD EXTERNAL 1TB HARD DRIVE
WD My Passport is a portable external hard drive that helps store and transfer your digital files safely and securely. The Wd External 1tb Hard Drive enables moving files faster. It is equipped with the auto-backup feature that is provided along with the WD software. You can also protect your device using the WD Security software to make your private data safe and secure.
- Compact in size
- Available in vibrant colors
- Transfers files at a faster rate
- USB 2.0 and 3.0 compatibility
- Formatted NTFS (Windows 10 as well as Windows 8.1).
- Other operating systems may require reformatting.
- Compatibility may vary depending on the user’s hardware configuration and operating system.
Contents inside the box
- The Wd External 1tb Hard Drive
- USB 3.0 cable
- WD Backup
- WD Security
- WD Drive Utilities software
- Quick Install Guide
How to Set up Wd External 1tb Hard Drive
- Unpack the WD My Passport hard drive from the package.
- Remove the protective cover from all the contents.
- Make sure that your PC is turned on.
- Connect one of the ends of the USB cable to the drive and the other end to your PC.
- Make sure that the LED light on your drive turns on, which indicates that the device is connected to your PC.
- Once connected to your PC, you will find a screen indicating that your drive has been connected.
- Make sure that your drive supports the OS you are currently using.
- Open the drive and you will get to see the My Passport software installer.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- Accept the Terms and Conditions.
- Once the software installation is over, click Finish.
- Now, the drive is ready to use.
Wd External 1tb Hard Drive Driver Download for Windows
- After connecting your WD My Passport to your PC, your screen will pop up with a WD My Passport screen where you can download the WD My Passport software installer.
- Double-click on the icon and accept the Terms and Conditions.
- You can download the Windows driver for your hard drive from the official web page of WD My Passport. Download only the software that supports your Windows OS.
- You need to double-click on the downloaded driver file.
- Click on the Install button and run the software.
- Finally, you need to click on the Finish button to complete the installation process.
- Now, your drive is ready to perform.
WD My Passport 1TB Drivers for Mac
- Turn on your Mac.
- Connect the WD My Passport to your Mac and make sure that the LED light on your drive turns on.
- Your desktop will pop up with the WD My Passport drive on the Finder.
- Click on the drive and download the WD My Passport app that supports your Mac OS.
- You can download the Mac driver for your hard drive from the official web page of WD My Passport. Download only the software that supports your Mac OS.
- Double-click on the downloaded driver file. Run it.
- Once the installation is completed, click Ok.
- Now, you can access your WD My Passport for your Mac.
How to back up files using WD My Passport
- Make sure that you have installed the WD software provided with your drive.
- After installation, the drive allows you to install WD Backup.
- Click on the WD icon on your desktop and select the app page.
- You can find WD Security, WD Backup plan, and WD Utilities.
- Select the WD Backup plan and install it.
- Accept the Terms and Conditions and click Next.
- After the installation, click the Finish button.
Note: A black bar is displayed on the unallocated partition.
- Now, click on WD Backup on your desktop.
- Select the Backup files option, and your PC will ask for external storage to back up the files.
- Click on your WD my Passport external hard drive and select Next.
- The drive will ask for automatic backup and the time for back up files automatically.
- Select the period and click Next.
- Pick the files you want to back up from your PC and click OK to save your selection.
- Now, select the backup files and launch your backup plan.
How Do I Recover Data From WD My Passport 1TB External Hard Drive?
- Click on the WD backup view menu from your taskbar.
- The Restore dialog box will open.
- Select Restore files.
- Select the location to restore the files that you need.
- On the Restore Files screen, select the files that you need to restore.
- Click Restore, and your restore process starts.
Wd External 1tb Hard Drive with Cloud Backup
- Connect the WD My Passport drive to your PC.
- Make sure that the LED indicator light on your device turns on.
- Go to the official web page of the cloud storage where you want to store the files.
- Log in to the cloud storage and click on the Upload files option.
- Pick the files you want to back up and click Next.
Why is WD My Passport not showing up?
There may be some issues regarding your USB cable, the driver might have failed, or the power connections to your external device might have been damaged, etc. If there are specific issues, try the below steps.
- Try disconnecting your USB cable and plug in again.
- If the system still does not recognize the device, then try disconnecting and connecting to another computer.
- If the other computer recognizes the drive, then there might be a problem with your PC.
- Restart your PC and try connecting your drive to your PC once again.
- Go to Disk management and check whether the drive shows up there.
- If it shows up there, check whether the partition and format information is seen.
- Right-click on the drive and select Change letter drive and paths.
- Select the letter you need and click Add.
- Now, you can see that your PC recognizes your external drive.
- If it does not shows up with the partition and format information, the drive needs to be re-formatted or re-partitioned.
Here are the 4 top solutions to make sure that the issue never happens again.
How to format WD My Passport on Mac?
- Make sure that your WD My Passport device is connected to your Mac.
- Go to Disk Utility on your Mac.
- Click on the WD My Passport drive and select the Eject option.
- Make sure that your drive is successfully backed up.
- Click on the Erase button.
- Your erase screen will pop up for choosing the format and scheme.
- Choose the format type as Mac OS Extended (journaled) and scheme as GUID partition map.
- Type the name of your device and select Erase.
- After completion, your device will be visible on your Mac.
How to format or partition the WD My Passport drive?
- Go to Disk management on your PC and choose the disk that you want to format or partition.
- Make sure that your drive is successfully backed up with all the files.
- Click on the drive and select the New simple volume option.
- Click Next to proceed.
- Change the drive letter and paths and click Next. Click on the Format option, choose the desired format option from the drop-down, and select Next.
- After formatting, click on the Finish button.
WD Drive Utilities not detecting Wd External 1tb Hard Drive
- Open the Run dialog by pressing the Windows key plus the R key at the same time.
- Go to Service Windows by typing services.msc in the box and click OK.
- You can find the WD Drive manager by scrolling down.
- Double-click on the WD Drive manager and make changes in Startup type to Automatic.
- Wait for few minutes until the service status is running.
- Finally, click OK to save the changes.
In many cases, uninstalling and re-installing WD Utilities has worked. If it fails, then try the following steps: